The Gentle Roller is a new device for an ancient craft - a wet felt rolling machine invented for ﬁbre artists of the 21st Century. The Gentle Roller is a break-through in the exhausting and repetitive process of hand rolling, helping you to create better felt or nuno felt — without hard work.
With its oscillating (forward and backward) action, The Gentle Roller is the only true replacement for hand rolling.
This compact, safe, and attractive tool will complement your studio and work quietly beside you, freeing you for more important activities like planning your next piece or enjoying a well-earned break.
It may be compact in height and depth but we haven't scrimped on the important dimension - we've delivered you a large roller platform. The smaller Gentle Roller comes with a roller width of 1100mm (43 inch) allowing you to comfortably handle 36 inch wide fabric. The larger roller width of 1400mm (55 inch) will easily cope with 48 inch wide fabric. If you work with narrower pieces, you can make multiple items at once.
Plus The Gentle Roller comes with a unique fulling drum (optional) and accessory drive rollers for increased efficiency.
The Gentle Roller - wet felt rolling machine has numerous patented features including the drive roller and oscillating drive covered by:
Australian Patent Application No. 2017368450
European Patent Application No. 17876105.2
USA Patent Application No. 16/464,754
International Patent Application No. PCT/AU2017/051308
What makes it unique - and the right choice for you?
Just follow the 'Read More' links below and we will give your some ideas of what makes The Gentle Roller a unique wet felt rolling machine.
The short video below gives you a quick insight into how the Gentle Roller works. It's not a glossy production - just real footage of the very first Gentle Roller from our 2017 'crowd funding' era.
And if you are looking for inspiration you can find hundreds of images of items created by Gentle Roller owners by following the link in the section below.
* the finest nuno using superfine merino and sheer delicate carriers,
* heavy and large felts, whether it is a wall hanging or eco sheep fleece rug,
* playful pieces or funtional wearables,
* flat wall art pieces or sculptural and 3D using a resist inside a flat shape for shoes, hats, bags and other vessels,
* textured felts with scrunched fabrics such as paj, sari or Margilan, and/or surface embellishments such as silk naps or cellulose fibres, or chunky inclusions,
* laminating Mulberry or Kozo papers to merino woolor exhibition pieces just because you can ...
... it is all possible on The Gentle Roller.
Below we give you just a few example of the the of work we make with video demonstrations using The Gentle Roller.